Translate

Wednesday 7 September 2011

A Close Call

We have had a few days of rain following a period of very dry weather. As a result very dry rainforest vegetation became wet and sodden in a couple of days.

This huge branch, which was rotten at its core, just could not cope with the weight of water-soaked Basket Ferns and came crashing to the ground during the day.

As you can see, it was right in front of the light sheet! This would have been a major catastrophe, for me, had I been standing there at the time. No additional damage was done. I could find no insects of any kind amongst the foliage as I dismembered the fallen limb. Pity.

4 comments:

randomtruth said...

That's a widow maker for sure. Glad its timing was lousy.

Camera Trap Codger said...

Well, remember "The Chumps at Oxford"? I could have been like that too.

Mr. Smiley said...

I watch "Two Chumps at Oxford" quite regularly but a knock on the head from this branch would have sent me to places far removed from Oxford!
D

HomeBugGardener said...

An Ig Nobel, finally, after all these years. Congrats!